Sunday, March 8, 2009

Amazing Similarities-


It is rather obvious, but I am constantly amazed whenever I view these two photos. To see them side by side, something I had never done before, seems to prove the old adage, "Like Mother, Like Daughter". I have no doubt that they had like personalities as well.




Mary Agnes McGinnis Jones
Mother at age 59

Taken at our home in Sheridan Park, Bremerton, supposedly the day that Uncle John died, August 25, 1951. That was written by Aunt Marie on the back of her copy of the same group photo of Uncle John, Mom and Uncle Tom that is in Molly's possession. Nancy found the same photo in her Mother's saved family pictures.


Mary Ellen Donahue McGinnis

From a photo taken on the back porch of the Florence Home where the McGinnis Family was raised. Our Grandmother, Mary Ellen, probably taken at about the same age of her life as the photo of Mother shown above. An incredible likeness in my mind but you be the judge.

Just who the child is remains a mystery.

Mother's cousin, Alice McGinnis Koffel, in a letter late in her life to our Oregon cousin, Molly, described our Mother and Grandmother very kindly. The following is taken from an e-mail from Molly where she described some of her communication with Alice. It's a voice from the past that describes them very nicely-

"It's so interesting to hear you speak of Alice and I loved the photo! I remember her much the same way through her letters. I know she was fond of your mother, because she described her as "Very sweet and very much like her mother."


No comments:

Post a Comment